4.28.2009

SO excited...

we just joined a csa! for those of you who might not know what this is, csa = community supported agriculture. we're paying a direct monthly fee to a local farm (operating 48 miles from our home), and in turn they will provide us with fresh, organic produce every week, in a box that i will pick up only a few miles from my house.  

this has been on my to-do list for over a year, and i am thrilled to have taken the plunge, especially now that spring has arrived and we can expect lots of yummy fruit in our box. i feel great about this decision, especially because of the fact that ever since trader joe's opened near my home, i have become pretty lax about hitting up my farmer's market. it's just too easy to pop into tj's for bread, milk, etc. and walk out with blueberries from mexico, apples from new zealand and spinach in a bag. and really, like many people, i'm not convinced that tj's fresh produce is exceptional by any means. connivence has simply become my current motivator. 

here's what organic produce we can expect through the year (for a monthly fee of $59): 

Summer:  sweet corn, sweet cherry tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes such as Marvel Stripe, Green Zebra, Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, and many more... summer squash, basil, cucumbers, melons, watermelons, assorted peppers, egg-plant, pole and bush beans, cherries, figs, plums and pears. 


Fall:  select summer crops; winter squash, salad mix, spinach, beets, fennel, turnips, broccoli, sweet potatoes, persimmons, pomegranates, and apples. 

Winter:  many Fall crops, asparagus, cabbage, salad mix, baby spinach, arugula, kale, mustard greens, collard greens, dino kale, gold beets, leeks, broccoli, garlic, rutabegas, daikon, fennel, oranges, mandarins, tangelos, and kiwis. 

Spring:  select winter crops, snap & sugar peas, asparagus, new potatoes, lettuces, red chard, green garlic, strawberries, and heirloom variety apricots.


the first pickup of our terra firma farms csa box will be may 6th. if there are organic cherries in the box, i think i might die of happiness. anyway, i look forward to letting you all know how it pans out!

4 comments:

CABunny said...

I've got to look further into this - there's a pickup 5 miles from my house! =)

Anonymous said...

My mom said her favorite part is finding ways to use veggies she's never cooked before. Think of all the new recipes you'll discover!

Drew & Erica said...

Hi Erin -

I'm Carol Ballanti's niece, and she just sent me the link to your blog, because we just joined a CSA also. I just got our first box, and we got oranges, grapefruit, strawberries, kale, carrots, beets, and lots of other good stuff. Hope you enjoy it :)

That Heather Girl said...

Oh, I must thank you!! I had no idea these types of things existed, and I live in oklahoma, so after reading this, I was like "oh, that sounds great, but we probably don't have anything like that around here" but I googled it anyway, and look at this!!
http://www.oklahomafood.coop/

it isn't exactly the same thing, but it is great! and I am so going to start buying things and picking them up! yay! and I wouldn't've even looked into it, wouldn't have even known about it, if you hadn't posted this! thanks so much!