12.27.2009

the new year 50.. wanna play along?

last year, jeremy and i both took part in "the new year 50," a little idea i found in the pages of real simple magazine. basically, you get rid of 50 things in your home between christmas and january 01. items can be donated or otherwise passed on, recycled, re-purposed, or tossed (as a last resort). we try to be good with clutter around here, but "things" do have a way of sneaking in as the months pass by. i'll be posting my list here--cleaning starts tomorrow!

:)

7 comments:

Maria said...

Wow, I'm WAY ahead of the game on this one! As we unpacked from moving back to CA I scrutinized EVERY item I was unpacking and many things (esp. the clothing) is going to goodwill. Then, I found lots of books I am no longer interested in keeping (but will probably sell) and lots of clothing/purses, etc in the garage stored up that were supposed to be donated before.

As a gift to myself I am not even going to bother documenting the donation with pictures or get a receipt. Yes, the tax write-off is nice but I know from experience that if I wait until everything is cataloged it will take WEEKS. And I don't want to write it off without a receipt. We had a massive donation before we moved too so we got one for that but this one is purely stress free.

Do I get extra credit then?

luvlieK - Kelly said...

We are working on the New Year 1000+

Anonymous said...

Awesome. I was just thinking about this yesterday. I'm in. Ready to de-clutter.

Abby said...

This is a great idea, I'm in!

mom said...

I'm in! Now I have to get your dad to give up 50 items too! There is a problem though. Several of the items I want to give away I think you may be interested in. I'm not sure how that is going to count, if you take in additional items from others!

Tiffany said...

I'll participate too, in fact I've already started decluttering!

Meghan said...

i am in too. i was just thinking about it today. for my new year resolution, i want to get organized around here. no better way than to purge some "stuff".