6.07.2010

made...








with the help of a good friend, i finally got around to making my own laundry soap. this was a super simple project (tackled while taking care of four kids!). we used the soulemama recipe, which calls for dr. bronner's bar soap, baking soda, borax and washing soda. all were available at my grocery store. math is not my forte, but i can tell you with 100% certainty that making your own laundry powder is far cheaper than buying it at the store. less packaging, too.

does it work as well? eh, i don't know. stains are stains, and my eco-friendly detergent isn't that tough on them either. we practice pre-treating and sunning instead. the soap smells good and the clothes and towels are, for the most part, very clean. and that's good enough for me!

3 comments:

Amber Liddle said...

I used to make this too, and I loved it. You're right, the natural stuff you buy isn't always the best either! But it's better than really clean clothes that reek of bleach or other chemicals :)

Cristina said...

I currently use 7th generation products, love them... but on my green list to do is to make my own cleaners.. I'll have to try this one out

Megan said...

We use this recipe too, but since I'm lazy I just use the liquid bronners. So I have a jar of the dry ingredients, and after I toss that into the wash I squirt a bit of dr.b's into a measuring cup and then into the washer. No grating soap...very easy! :)
I admit that I do soak "nice" things in a little oxy clean before washing, stains just don't disappear with this detergent.