8.16.2010

before & after...

i have to admit, i'm always a bit stunned when i pull a loaf out of the oven. inside, a transformation has taken place--from doughball to bread. crusty, delicious, beautiful bread. the kind that runs around $6 a loaf at the farmers market. the cost of good bread at the market has been on my mind as of late--mainly because i've been forking over cash instead of baking. and it irritates me, because making good bread is so darn simple.

so. having taken much of the summer off, we're back to baking this week. we've got enough dough in the fridge to see us through for about 2 weeks--pizzas, calzones, sausage buns, sandwich bread, pitas. and of course, the cheese boule pictured above. yum!

techniques & recipes used to stock my fridge with dough are from this book. thanks again to renee, who sent me her copy. you'll be happy to know that it's already dog-eared, water-marked and properly dusted with flour. as all good cookbooks should be!




6 comments:

Jackie said...

Oh, those looks so awesome and yummy!

Unknown said...

Yummmm...that photo made my mouth water. I've just started making bread too, you are right, it's so simple! Just have to make the time to do it.

Brandi said...

can you post the recipe?

erin said...

@ skinner family--

the recipe is copyrighted, so i can't post it. but see if you can get the book from your local library, if you don't feel like buying it straight away!

Renee (Jamie's mom) said...

Glad you're using the book! I see the authors have a new one out with a whole section on gluten-free breads. I think it's call "Healthy bread in 5 minutes a day." Also includes more whole grain recipes. Might be worth checking out.

Dog-eared, flour dusted, notated cookbooks are the best mementos from the kids' early years. I have quite a few, as you might imagine.

Anonymous said...

What is the name of the rolls so I can find the recipe in the book you left a link for? Thanks! :)